Friday, October 8, 2010

A Correction on the Talbert Family Line

The Year of the Great Finishing (in which I attempted to finish all of those little niggling 'round-tuits) was hijacked by The Year of the Never-Ending Condo Move, so I have done very little with my genealogy in quite some time. As a result of this neglect, a new connection on the Kennedy and Talbert lines has languished in my Genealogy Inbox.

This past week after going to see my favorite Irish band, I was suddenly seized with a powerful curiosity about the Irish lines of my ancestry, and I decided to poke around a little tonight on Ancestry.com in an attempt to see if I could confirm existing information or learn anything new. I was immediately sidetracked (as so often happens) from the Kennedys and ended up tinkering with the Talberts, where I realized that most researchers had a different set of parents for my Thomas S. Talbert who married Rebecca Gobble (or more correctly, Gabel). After some review of my notes, I decided to leave my info as it was, since our Thomas had two cousins of an age who were also named Thomas, which potentially could have created confusion. I didn't want to go to the effort of making corrections if it were all for naught. Then I remembered those Talbert emails still waiting in my Inbox and had another look.

After reviewing the information of researcher Charles E. Talbert of California, PA, I am convinced enough now to go ahead and change my data. I agree with him that it is indeed more likely that Thomas S. Talbert (not "L" as sometimes stated) was the son of Thomas Athey Talbert and his wife Agatha. I have asked Charles if I can post his message to me online to help other researchers confirm or correct their information if they have listed Basil Talbert Jr. (brother of Thomas Athey Talbert) and Polly Logan as the parents of the Thomas S. Talbert who married Rebecca Gobble. If he agrees, I will amend this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment